3/18/08

3 Days of Sylamo Trail Runs

This years version of 3 Days was AWESOME........although I didn't get to run any of the races, (some of the volunteers Steve was counting on cancelled at the last minute so I opted to help a friend in need) I had a great time with all the runners, my dog, jasper, and my son, Max.

I ended up working the aid station at 15 miles during the first days 50k, worked the 22.5, 27.5 mile aid station at saturdays 50mile and nursed a severly sprained ankle on sunday. between working aid stations i just helped steve and chef cal as a general lacky. got some fishing in with my son and got to watch him be a great volunteer at this event. it does a daddy proud to see his son step up and serve.

Lots of talent this year with ty drainy/wyoming, matt heart,seattle,josh and ashley nordell/california,previous defending champs david wakefield and paul shoenlab all toed the line for the 3 day stage along with a host of regional talent. a total of 12 states represented. you can check out the results on the 3 day website.

i'm keepintg this brief but the 50miler was epic from all accounts. 16,000 feet of vertical, 100% singletrac, it took the leaders 5 hours to get to the turnaround. this thing was gnarly. i'll be planing a trip over to run that course before hardrock this year.

everybody i talked to said they would be back next year. it's that kind of run. camping, hanging out in a pristine place like blanchard springs for 3 days, eating great post race food provided for the 4th year by cal hill, listening to sweet bluegrass after the runs and just being part of a great ultra-running community. it's what the sport is all about.

race director steve kirk has put together a gem that is starting to attract a national crowd. it won't surprise me a bit to see this race grow in depth and talen year after year.

highly encourage you to put this on your calendar for next year, but if you are weak at heart, you should probably stay home or better yet, come volunteer, steve can use all the help he can get.

peace....billy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah brother. It was a great time this year even though my leg kept me from running the way I wanted to. Shit deal about your ankle bro. Get better and come out to see me in October for our little 50km. My house is yours brother. Take care. Later.